Tuesday, August 10, 2010

scavenging materials for coop building

I'm building a chicken coop for my backyard!!

I'm using only scavenged materials (well mostly screws/ nails of door hinges were bought)

I currently have about 60% of the needed materials. I'm missing the screening (currently searching craigslist/ and freecycle).

The frame will be constructed of old pallets thrown to the curb by some company. Wrapped in screening or chicken wire (whatever i happen to be lucky enough to stumble upon)

The front side is old lumber cut into a square that will be covered in screen and hinged to make a easy open door for cleaning and letting the chickens out during the day.

It will be tied shut at night with a old cord from thrown away dead appliance.

All in all I hope to have this project completed this weekend.

As soon as i do pics will come up!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to following yours.
    Very excited about your chicken coop, I need to learn also. My kids want a few chickens. We can build a coop , raise some chicks and count it as science lab!!! Love it! Homeschooling is the best.
    Peace and RAW Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention the eggs! Yummmmm : ) if you have not already join freecycle. That way when you go to build your experment coop you can use recycled items and not only save money but keep items out of the land fill!!! : )

    ReplyDelete