Thursday, September 16, 2010

Homemade rolls!



Last week while thinking about what i was going to fix for dinner I settled on herb chicken, mashed potatoes and homemade rolls.
I have never before made my own rolls and only once before made a basic white loaf of bread.
Well let me just say... AMAZING!!!!! I must say I impressed myself! I decided on dill rolls since i had dried dill from my garden left in my reused glass jars (my daughters love of applesauce provides us with many glass jars that I use to store various items including my dried herbs)

Dissolve one pack dry active yeast in 1/4 cup warm water in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons sugar(Beat after each addition), 1 tablespoon onion flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon softened butter, 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 tablespoon dried dill weed(or seed), 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 large egg. Slowly add a cup of flour and mix. Add another cup and mix, Add one more cup and mix. You will have a sticky dough so turn it out onto a well floured surface. Knead. once you have a well worked dough stick into a oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise! (Maybe about a hour to a hour and 1/2). Shape into a loaf if you prefer but I loved the easy to eat rolls! Let loaf or rolls rise again once shaped (they should double in size) about 45 min! Bake at 350 for about 15 min for rolls and 30-45 min for a loaf(loafs should sound hallow when knocked)! This makes 12 large rolls or one loaf!

2 comments:

  1. Your rolls look really good! I make bread occassionaly but I haven't tried making rolls as it seemed too challenging for my meager baking skills. Your recipe sounds great - I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they were very yummy and fairly easy to make! :) hope it turns out well!

    ReplyDelete