Monday, September 20, 2010

My Completed Weekend Project



This weekend I relearned to knit and started a project to make myself a winter scarf.
2 hours on day 1, and maybe 5 hours on day 2 and its completed. Mind you these hours are not in one sitting and are scattered through the day. Knitting is a portable craft. I knit while Ronnie drove us to St. Pete, I knit when my daughter was watching her favorite movie, and I knit when finally the little one was off to bed and I relaxed on the couch listening to NPR.

Its easy and I only made a handful of mistakes. Though this handful of mistakes included one that almost doomed my whole scarf.....
As I was binding off (casting off) I forgot how to do it. I looked it up you knit 1, 2 and pull over....
Ok well easy enough here I go...
Knit 1.. Knit 2... pull over... Knit 1, 2 pull over, knit 1,2 pull over... I was almost done.. knit 1,2 pull over yes! The last stich... I pulled it off my needle and admired it! Great Job Brittany I said to myself... but then it happened.... it started coming apart... first my bind off came out then 1 row came apart... then another... panic time! I picked up the phone at 12' o clock at night and called my mom who is on vacation in the wine country of calafornia...
"Mom, remember I was telling you I was knitting myself a scarf? Well..... I did something wrong when I was binding off and its unraviling.... HELP!!!!" She calmly told me to unravel another row myself stick my needle back in the loops that will show and reknit the unravled rows... so I did... knit 1, 2, 3, 4.... "ok mom I reknited my lost rows I'm ready to bind off what do I do? She knit 1,2 pull over... this sounds familiar.... knit 1,2 pull over... last stich? I don't want to through this again... then she said the key thing. This little thing that would make my scarf complete and not come apart... pull that last stich off you needle and pull the little bit of yarn that's leftover through the last stich to make a knot... *sigh* of course... how simple but perfect... and as I thanked her and hung up I held up my scarf and admired at how a ball of a pretty yarn and 2 bamboo needles can turn into this beautiful scarf that will keep this warm blooded floridian warm as the seasons I didn't think we had change....

To many more adventures in knitting...

No comments:

Post a Comment