Sunday, October 24, 2010

One of the saddest posts..

My chickens are dead....

at this point i cant post anything else.

RIP Henrietta, Nugget, and Bonnie
I'm so Sorry

Update:
Last night after their move i checked on them around 830 and they were fine. Between 830 and 830 this morning a predator (murderer) came and killed Bonnie and Henrietta. Nugget was left alive but barely (she had her wing torn off) it was up to me to put her out of misery. I cannot stop crying and I feel so dirty but even scrubbing my skin cant get this "dirt" off... I don't know how to explain this to my daughter luckily my husband wouldn't let her come outside so she didn't see anything just will no longer have chicken friends..

At this point I don't know if i am going to try again. This is my first time losing animals like this and 3 at once was to much..

I am going to clean out the coop and scout for the holes it may have used. I am covering the entire coop in chicken wire and then decide what we are going to do.

Maybe once my birthday vacation has passed I will try again... Maybe....

6 comments:

  1. Wow that's so sad but it's not your fault. It's so hard to know what predators wonder around your neighborhood at night and how secure you have to make a cage. It's amazing what pests etc show up when your growing a garden or raising animals. Things that you never new even existed take up residence in your backyard. I think it's so cool that you're raising chickens so don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, it happens to most of us. My birds cannot be free range because we have too many predators. And even though they have fairly secure cages we've had many problems. You have to make sure that animals: a). can't get in the cage. b) can't dig under the cage to get in and c) that the birds have enough room to run and escape should an animal with the ability to reach in grab them (in my case, raccoons). It's sad, but, Don't give up!

    Here are my stories about my dealings with a raccoon murdering my birds. http://www.mysuburbanhomestead.com/?page_id=596

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I know they were very special to you !!! You are in my thoughts & prayers.

    Lisa B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very shocking to find your pets violently destroyed. I cry buckets when something dies here, whether its a hen that dies in the night for no apparent reason or a faithful friend like old Dan, our 38 year old pony. I held his head as the vet gave him a needle to euthanise him. There now, that was 3 years ago and here come the waterworks again.... Some of us are just softies. We are animal lovers who love deeply and grieve deeply when we lose them. You must remember that you gave your little birds the best possible life, short as it was.It was not your fault that you were outsmarted by a predator, it happens to more experienced farmers all the time. My neighbor and I are presently at war with what seems like an army of raccoons. He has lost ducklings while I have been just lucky.
    Please try again, the rewards are wonderful.Does your coop have a solid walled house attached or enclosed where birds can be locked in at night out of sight and reach?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the kind words. We are very upset at this but have decided to try again (read my new post)... the coop is open as here we need a open well ventilated area or they overheat so fast...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel. Maude and Mabel were killed last week by a neighborhood dog who ran into our yard and forced the coop away from the pen and killed both of them. They were our friends and pets and came running when they saw us in the yard.

    ReplyDelete