Saturday, October 8, 2011

Weekend Project #6 ~ Rocket Stove

Hey readers! Its another Wednesday and you know what that means! Another Weekend Project Blog!!
This blog shows what my plans are for that coming weekend, gives instructions, and other needed info so you could 2 could make it your weekend project!

This weeks project?... A Rocket Stove

A rocket stove is a small compact stove used for outdoor cooking. This was a great idea for me since even the time it takes to boil water here during the summer the stove raises them temp in the kitchen noticably. I figure this well helps us save electric in both aspects of not having to use the electric stove and the air doesn't have to try to cool down that heated air : ) Win, win!

Ok there are many versions on the rocket stove including a simple metal can but the one I choose after much searching is a red brick stove.. I found it on Root Simple

What you need:

2 cinder blocks

1- 16 inch concrete slab

36 red bricks

Metal stove pipe ( a 4 inch extender, and angle)

A bucket of collected ash or vermiculite

Type M mortar

A piece of sheet metal

A grill piece


Total Cost: Around $30 if you have to buy everything.. I had or found most items


What to do:

First find a spot perfect for your stove, I choose near my backdoor.. set and level your 2 cinder blocks. On top of that lay your 16 inch concrete slab. Mix your mortar to thick pancake mix consistency.. lay your bricks out how you want them then start spreading your mortar and setting your bricks.. it was my first time so I can't teach how to properly set them but I watched a few youtube videos showing how.



*remember to leave your hole in the front for your fire feeding



Once your mortar has set (for 24 hours at least) stick your stove pipe in. It should fit just below the top bricks. Fill area all around stove pipe with collected ash. This is your insulating layer, you cannot use soil or sand because it has no air pockets and you need that so the heat doesn't make it go BOOM : )... you will have to cut and fit sheet metal around your bottom hole/stove pipe so the ash doesn't spill out the bottom, then take a tin can flatten it out and slide it in you bottom stovepipe like a shelf.. the twigs to cook go on top, news paper to light fire on bottom then the bottom provides airflow : ) here in FL we need some kind of cover to keep the insulating layer dry in our huge storms.. I'm thinking on of those upright tallish grill covers might work otherwise throw a tarp over it anyways once your completed add your grill piece to the top and start cooking

: )

I'm very excited about this project!!!


Above is my Rocket Stove laid out and bricks set with motar.. there on top is my cooking stove pipe.. all i need now is a grill to set my cast iron on, a bucket of ashes for insulation, and a piece of sheet metal : )


Update October 8th:

Wow friends this post has been sitting here and my half completed stove had been sitting outside all this time. Today I found my inspiration to finish it.. my upcoming potluck! I really really wanted to get it done and today was the day!

I couldn't find enough ash to fill the stove as a insulator so i went and bought a small bag of perlite it was $3.49.. i used chicken wire and tin foil around the metal pipe to keep the perlite in, and folded chicken wire as the shelf.

After completing it, i set up 2 bricks on top laid my scavenged metal grate on top of that set my cast iron skillet on top went and grabbed a small piece of cardboard (I ripped it into a strip about 3 inches by 5 inches) and 3 tiny pieces of wood im talking kindling type wood (LoL) lit the cardboard slid it in under my shelf, laid the wood on top and let the magic happen, it caught and was a wonderfully small but hot fire in about a minute.

I went to the chicken coop and reached in the nest box hoping for a fresh egg and score there was one, i cracked it into the skillet and within seconds it whitened, and cooked in about a minute

This is fantastic and as soon as my phone charges I will take pictures and a video to post on here!!!

7 comments:

  1. back around 2005 in N Seminole Heights there was a guy who made a beehive brick oven for artesian breads only. Our neighborhood smelled frickin' amaaaaazing. Nice project you have going over there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really cool. I might have to try my hand at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest everyone makes one of these! I actually already started mine but will hopefully be finishing it this weekend.. just looking for ash! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try putting another elbow at the bottom, facing up.
    So the cutaway view would look like a "J".
    Then you can allow the fuel to gravity feed.
    As long as the fuel chute is lower than the chimney, it should work...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to use short sticks in that case right? Instead of the thin long ones im using now? Interesting thought might have to try that, I mean im using very little fuel right now but this would be great for cooking long meals, boiling water etc :) Thanks Eric

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job. Looks a lot better than the one I built!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks very cool, I will try it...

    ReplyDelete