Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ybor Water Barrel Classes

As everyone knows harvesting rain water is VERY important to us!
Not only does it help stop the erosion of high flow gutters pouring into your soil but when you harvest it for later use the lack of water for a week or more it doesn't have you going OH GOSH HOW MUCH IS MY WATER BILL GOING TO BE...

You can hook up a drip system from your water barrel or even hook a hose up to it but I do neither I just fill my watering can with the skys goodness and treat my plants to it...

Anyways Ybor Saturday Market has set up to host rain water harvesting classes the last Saturday of every month starting August 27th.. there are 2 classes one from 10am - 1130am and one class 1130am - 1pm.

These classes will teach you how to set up your water barrel, use you barrel, and the importence of harvesting rain water

The class costs just $5 but if you want to purchase a standard blue barrel it will cost you a extra $35
(They do have a cool raffle at the end of each class and the winner gets a FREE barrel!)

Ybor Saturday market is at centennial park downtown ybor and before and after your classes you can shop around at their vendors that have produce(last time I was there only one vendor was local farm), breads, pastas, soaps and even to handmade baskets!

To reserve your spot in the classes contact ybormarket@yahoo.com =: )

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a busy day! So many entries. The Seminole Heights community garden(where I live) uses sails to catch water and drain it into their barrel. I love this idea!! I certainly do need a barrel first though! I've been using a trash can with screen over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading about something that said runoff from roofs can be filled with poisonous chemicals and is not recommended for watering edible crops. Have you heard anything about that? There's so much conflicting information out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I hadn't heard that as almost every organic/ or other gardener I know uses harvested rain water. I did however go and look it up after your comment and see that there does seem to be a lot of opinions flying around on boards but not a lot of science or facts. I will continue to use my rainwater but if you don't feel comfortable using it go with your thoughts : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no firm opinion on it myself since I have no actual experience one way or the other. I think it's great that you're doing it. I always keep telling myself I'm going to get a rainbarrel, but it always goes on my list of things to do "one day".

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hillsborough County Extension program gives rain barrel classes all over town and you get a free rain barrel (all ready with spot assembled)after the class. http://hillsborough_fyn.ifas.ufl.edu/RainBarrels.html

    ReplyDelete