Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The fears with direct seeding

I direct seeded all of my garden this year as my starts died within a day of planting. I'm on day 4 or one garden and day 3 of the other two beds.. I see sprouts of beans so far but that's all. I put most of my seeds into the ground so if none of my seeds sprout I'm screwed which frightens the crap out of me.

My fears are that maybe I planted them to deep, maybe the rain washed them away, maybe the birds came and ate them.. there are just so many things that could go wrong.

The pros to direct seeding are no transplant shock, seemingly faster growing as the roots can take off without being stopped my plastic or peat, one time back breaker (instead of bending and planting in containers and then again in ground there's just once)

I always seem to have luck direct seeding my large seeds like my squash, melons, beans, etc but I'm worried about all my small seeds like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant..

The steady rain yesterday and today are keeping my beds wet which I'm hoping helps not hinders my direct seeding but the heavy storms winds and rain could be a issue in fact it already blew over some of my baby corn, knocked down a banana tree, and has ruined the roof on my chicken coop so ill be having to replace that SOON!!!

Just thought I would share my worried : )

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried sprouting them on a wet paper towel first? I do, then plant them as soon as I see a good root. I guess it is sort of a compromise. I am worried that my little farm is getting too much rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Beth that's a fantastic idea, i cant believe i haven't done that!! : ) Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEp that is what i often do, wet paper towels, a good 48 hours or so and than into the soil, though I have a lot of direct seeded areas just starting to sprout. One thing I have fantasized about is using a white crop cover cloth - a bit industrial for my home garden but after last years loss of 400 plus seedlings it seems reasonable some days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to let you know I started more seeds on paper towels in the kitchen : )

    ReplyDelete