Sunday, November 6, 2011

Orange Pumpkin Jam

Pumpkin-Orange Jam

Ingredients:
2 medium sized oranges, rinsed
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
2 cups sugar
4 cups freshly cooked pumpkin
5 half pint glass jars

Directions:

~ Grate the outer layer of orange peels and set them aside. Remove and throw away the inner white membrane of the oranges.
~ Blend orange pulp until smooth-ish
~ Place the grated orange peel and pulp, along with any juice in a pan
~ Stir in the sugar and pumpkin
~ Blend together
~ Bring the mixture to a full boil~ Reduce your heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Stirring the mixture occasionally, replacing the lid between each stir.
~ Meanwhile, prepare 5 half-pint canning jars and lids.
~ Fill jars, leaving 1/8 inch headspace.
~ Wipe the rims of jars clean with a damp cloth and place lids on jars.
~ Add and tighten rings~ fingertip tight
~ Water bath for about 12 minutes~ Remember after those 12 minutes to turn off heat, uncover and let sit for 5 minutes~ Then Remove and set on a towel on the counter!!
~ Let cool
~ Listen for tell tale pop that signals its closed
~ Rest overnight.. Then pop yourself open one and stick the rest in the pantry or give as gifts!



Taste Test:
Being very nervous never having tasted anything like what I was making I was VERY nervous to try it..
I sliced 2 thin slices of the bread I picked up at the Sweetwater market today and lightly toasted them.. I opened up the jar which I couldn't do by pulling i had to use my thumbs to pop it off and it made a whoosh sounds which means... THEY ARE SEALED!!!!!!! Anyways I spread the jam on 2 slices of bread.. Called Ronnie into the Room and bit into it at the same time.. YUMMMMMMMM

It is unlike anything I have EVER had.. Some what sweet with a strong upfront orange taste followed by a mild pumpkin flavor lingering on your tongue.. very pleasant. Perfect for toast and I think it would be great on honey, cinnamon, or regular biscuits as well!

Im very excited that my first canning experience resulted in a wonderful unique
jam!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is great! Mission accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yum, yum! Wow! What a fabulous tutorial and I am so loving the use of seasonal foods in the recipe! I just want to curl up with a warm cup of tea, a piece of bread and this jam:) This post is so informative and I think my subscribers would really enjoy reading this. I would love for you to come share it at Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on Frugally Sustainable this Wednesday. And, I really hope that you will put Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on your list of carnivals to visit and link to each Wednesday!

    Warmly,
    Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable
    Here's the link: http://www.frugallysustainable.com

    ReplyDelete