Saturday, March 17, 2012

Experiment: Seed Scattering

So last night I got half of my food forest covered with compost and rich soil (this is on top a layer of branches and leaves)


Then this morning I made a seed mix of a HUGE variety of plants


Seed Mix:
~ sweet basil
~ dill
~ parsley
~ marigold
~ anise hyssop
~ peppers
~ lemon squash
~ borage
~ violet jasper tomato
~ orach
~ malabar spniach
~ love in a mist
~ tobacco
~ camomile
~ oregano
~ amaranth
~ sorghum
~ echinacea
~ daisies
~ tomatillo
~ kentucky wonder beans
~ mystery tomato
~ blanket flower
~ Unknown native flower
~ nutmeg melon
~ okra
~ flax
~ Roselle
~ oats
~ Im sure I am forgetting a couple

I wet the compost/soil mix VERY well and let soak in, then i sprinkled with a mix of organic fertilizers like blood meal, kelp meal, bone meal, etc, and then the seed was sprinkled by hand as evenly as I could get.


After everything was sprinkled out I went back through and scratched the seeds into the dirt by hand leaving a display of hidden seeds, half hidden seeds, and uncovered seeds



After everything was scratched in I topped with leaves to hopefully keep the animals from eating the seeds and to help keep the soil moist while they germ (like a real forest)


My goal is to have a large variety of plants growing with different root depths and purposes, herbs for cooking & healing, veggies & fruits for fresh eating and kitchen use, flowers for eating and bringing pollinators, grains for nitrogen fixing abilities and for grain of course, there is also a mix of annuals, perennials, and self seeders to keep the forest constantly alive and growing.

This is a test to see how well the scatter seed method goes and what grows and what doesn't, I am very excited to see how it progresses through out the next month and months as things germ and grow. :) I will continually post of this experiment though the stages. Send your growing energy to those little seeds!!


Wanna see whats going on at other homesteads??? BarnHop!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be watching to see what happens...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experiment. I will be anxious to see how it goes (grows). This will be fun to watch as you post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, fun idea! Can't wait to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete