Saturday, March 31, 2012

Papaya Jam

So I bought a HUGE ripe papaya to use for the seeds so I cut it open harvested the many seeds but what to do with all the papaya?



**Papaya Jam**

Ingredients
~ 5 cups mashed ripe papaya
~ 1/4 cup orange juice
~ 2 tablespoons lime juice
~ 1 package powdered pectin
~ 5 cups white sugar

Directions
~ Stir together papaya, orange juice, lime juice, and pectin in a very large pot over medium-high heat until it begins to boil.
~ Stir constantly as the mixture heats.
~ Once boiling, stir in the sugar, and return to a boil, stirring constantly.
~ Once the jam has returned to a boil, start a timer, and boil for exactly 1 minute.
~ Ladle the hot jam into the hot, sterilized canning jars and seal with lids and rings.
~ Allow to cool to room temperature, and refrigerate any jars that do not seal.


These recipes do not call for water bath canning but I think I will for 10 minutes like a papaya recipe calls for in my ball canning book... Im not sure which I will do yet.. I guess it depends on if I can find a ripe mango :)

No comments:

Post a Comment