Monday, April 2, 2012

Around this Urban Farm...

So lately I have been focused on tropical edibles this means I neglected the annual garden space, this makes me sad, so in a desperate attempt to get things into the ground in the morning I will plant more squash, peppers, okra, eggplant, and beans to fill up all the beds and hopefully give me enough stuff to can and freeze...

With my attention to other things I have created a nice duck area complete with a little splash pond and a meyer lemon to provide shade, I have planted a couple bananas in random spots to create dabbled shade, Created garden space to build the food forest, collected leaves, laid the pathways, built bean teepees, worked on the pond (turning it from a yuck space to happy space), learned about tropical perennials, planted awesome staples like cassava, white sweet potato (used for summer leaves), wild garlic, perennial leeks, pineapple, and 2 loquat trees. I have also decided to visit ECHO in Ft. Meyers where they grow and sell a HUGE a variety of perennial veggies and fruits so I am excited!

We are currently fighting a flea problem with our inside/outside cat, a writing on the walls problem with our daughter, and a keeping things organized problem with us.

*sigh*

2 comments:

  1. If you read Permies.com they swear by food-grade diatomacaeous earth for flea control. I bought the 50 # bag and would be happy to share if you'd like to just try it around the house. It really is a whole process you need to commit to but it seemed to help me clear out some 'stuff' laying around because you have to lightly dust all openings-doors and....well doors. And it's good for parasites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yea we treated the cat, washed all the linens, currently washing all the clothes, and doing a deep clean!!

    ReplyDelete