Sunday, April 1, 2012

Creating Jam

So pretty much I have gone by the book when it comes to canning, but today I strayed...

I made Papaya Mango Jam

I pretty much cut up a large papaya, and 2 mangoes into little pieces, added 3 1/2 cups of sugar and 1 and a half limes juiced.. I put it all into a LARGE stainless steel pan and tuned up the heat to medium, I stirred constantly for about 10 minutes until it created a good amount of juice and started boiling hard... I turned down the heat to low and simmered for 20 minutes, at that point I start processing the canning jars (all I had were pint jars)... I started the timer again for another 20 minutes... after the time was up i checked on the product and it still had to much liquid so I started the timer again for 5 minutes and checked on it.. it took about another 10 minutes to get it where I wanted... it a thick liquid.. I could move it in the pan and it didn't fill back the line super quick.. I was teaching my wonderful Jennifer from Gardening for Newbies to can at the same time.. It made 3 pints full with a little left to taste.. we put it in the fridge for 10 minutes and it set up SOOO nice, slathered on some crackers we had our first taste.. OMG SOOOO GOOD!!! So here is the recipe...

**Papaya and Mango Jam**

Ingredients:
~ 1 firm ripe fresh papaya , peeled, seeded and cut into small pieces
~ 2 firm ripe fresh mangoes , peeled,cut away from stone and cut into small pieces
~ 3 1/2 cups sugar
~ 1 1/2 limes.. about 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Directions:
~ Combine all ingredients in saucepan.
~ Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
~ Reduce heat to low
~ Simmer uncovered for 40-50... Cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally and mashing lightly, then cook another 20 minutes stirring occasionally, then check every 5 minutes stirring until most of the liquid has cooked away and mixture is thick
~ Spoon jam into hot sterilized canning jars.
~ Fill jar to 1/4 a inch from the top
~ Seal quickly and tightly
~ Process 10 minutes for half pint jars and 15 minutes for pint jars



Enjoy this? Go BarnHop!!

4 comments:

  1. It was fabulous! I can't wait to try it on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inviting you the Carnival of Home Preserving on my blog today and every Friday. Hope to see you there. Laura Williams’ Musings http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2012/06/carnival-of-home-preserving-13-come.html

    ReplyDelete