Saturday, April 7, 2012

I am addicted to canning

I think I might be addicted to canning... I have stocked up on mason jars, lids, and screw bands... I have a stockpile of goodies going.. and now I made more..

Today I made another batch of papaya mango jam and canned them into 8oz jars (7 jars) ~ I also made strawberry wine jelly (7 jars)

YUMMMMMM!!!




Strawberry Wine Jelly:
Makes around 6-8~ 4oz jars

What you need:

1 cup sliced hulled strawberries

2 1/2 cups Chardonnay (get the cheap stuff it doesnt matter)

3 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1 pouch liquid pectin

What you do:

~ Prepare your jars for canning according to your brand's instructions.
~ Combine the berries and wine in the stainless bowl. Use the potato masher to crush the berries well.
~ Line the strainer with dampened cheesecloth – several layers – and set over a clean bowl. Pour the crushed berry – wine mixture into the strainer and let sit for one hour.
~ This should get you around 2 1/2 cups of infused wine.. if not add a little water or apple juice, if a little more dont worry
~ Transfer the wine to the large saucepan.
~ Stir in the sugar and bring to a full rolling boil over high heat.
~ When the boil cannot be stirred down, stir in the pectin.
~ Boil another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
~ Remove from heat and skim.
~ Ladle into hot jars, leaving ¼" headspace. Lid and band the jars, screwing the bands on to fingertip tightness.
~ Process 10 minutes in the boiling water canner.
~ Wait 5 minutes, then remove from canner. Cool and store.



2 comments:

  1. Lol can I be addicted to canning without having done it yet? :) I have quite the collection of jars, lids & rings (I also used mason jars as table decor in my wedding, so that got me started), too! I received a pressure canner set, but I haven't started yet. Sure looking forward to beginning, though! Your jam sounds delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Christy and I am a canning addict. I say if you have to be addicted to something canning is where its at!!

    ReplyDelete