Monday, May 21, 2012

A Food Forest?

Do you remember a couple months ago I started transforming part of my backyard into a future food forest. Now this is not a overnight process especially when you do not have the funds to buy a bunch of fruit trees and bushes all at once.

What is a food forest?
Its mimicking nature to recreate its natural beauty and self care in a edible environment. So you would start with tall trees (fruit or nut), then shorter trees (more fruit), then fruit bushes, regular plants, groundcover... creating layers like nature does, each plant has a different root reach, water needs, soil needs, so when you combine them all together they work perfectly, unlike if you plant all the same in one area!!

What plants I do have is...
5 banana trees
1 papaya tree
1 barbados cherry tree
1 Surnaim cherry bush
3 blackberry bushes
1 Pineapple
1 Moringa Tree
Cassava
Chaya
Rhubarb (if I can get it to last through the summer)
and a couple other permie plants

I will plant banana trees and morina along the west side of the house to create a shade block, and dig swales along the house to catch the roof runoff.

I plan to add 2 more large fruit trees and many more bananas and papayas and other fruit bushes and perennial vegetables.
It will be mostly these wonderful perennials with some annuals scattered around in half of the yard, the other half will remain my raised veggie beds holding many wonderful annuals but with a couple perennials mixed in, like bananas, papayas, chaya, and other goodies that provide a light dappled shade but still the sun that many annuals love! My house will become a wonderful assortment of rare and traditional fruits, veggies, herbs, and flowers. The focus will not be the house but the many wonderful plants out front and back, the way the birds fly in and out, the ponds with fish and plants, the bees buzzing in and out of the flowers, chickens pecking happily in the area eating any bugs that wander to close to where they stand, ducks swimming happily in their pond, and the happy couple with their young daughter tending to it.

I just love planning and experimenting in the garden, there is nothing more rewarding then watching all your hard work blossom into wonderful food and a paradise in which my family, animals, and nature live harmoniously together!

4 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately need to add a Cherry of the Rio Grande... the fruit it amazing! My first one is over 30ft tall, 2nd is about 15ft, and we have TONS of babies sprouted from the seeds. My Barbadoes cherries couldn't handle the freeze here 2 years ago year, so we lost both :( My Rio Grandes are flourishing though, there were more cherries than I could pick and eat this year. (I'm over on the east coast of Florida south of Daytona).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and apparently I should proof read before I hit publish sry!

      Delete
  3. Sounds great thanks, i shall add that to my list of trees to have!!!

    ReplyDelete