Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sleepless Nights

Tonight I laid in bed, tossing and turning, my mind pouring over projects that need doing, gardens that need tending, animals that caring, a wedding that needs planning, and so many other things my mind was spinning.
I finally decided I had to lay everything out on something physical that I could see and make sense out of. Here I go:

Why do we go to jobs we dislike? Is it so impossible to find a job for something we do like?
I mean we all have different things we like for example I have seen nursery workers that cant tell you the stem from a leaf on a plant (yes that's a slight exaggeration) and obviously would rather be chatting on the phone or out at a club, those people could become bartenders, I could work with plants, etc...

Instead we all take whatever we can get and thats the way it is no one questions it.. day after day we drag ourselves out of bed in the morning, get dressed, shove some food in our mouths and head to a job we hate, just to come home, shove more food in out mouths and go to sleep then do it all again...

Why should we pay for a building we spend almost zero time in, why should we pay for cable we hardly watch, why should we pay for something nature gives us for free...
none of it makes sense anymore, maybe it lack of sleep, maybe im just so fed up with everything...
it seems we have no control over our lives, since we have been in school we have a timeline of events we must follow, people who tell us what we must do, when we must be somewhere, how we must do something, but what if we broke free?

If instead of that $200,000 house that you spend no time at because you are to busy working your back end off to pay for it you bought a $25,000 house on a acre, what if you could pay that house off in 5 years instead of 30, then cut your work time down to just enough to cover your living expenses (water, gas, car, insurance, etc). What if instead of having to have the latest and greatest car that you pay $250 a month for 7+ years to own you bought a $6,000 sturdy car in cash and had no payments on it. What if instead of having cable with over 3,000 channels for $100 a month (maybe you watch 5 of those channels?) you bought netflix or another streaming service for $10 a month, what if instead of buying your food you grew it on your own land, what if instead of going out to eat you cook a meal with food from your land and sit down with family and friends, what if instead of driving your car 3 blocks to the store and using gas to pick up bread and cheese you rode a bike and burned fat, what if, what if, what if....

Why am i asking all these questions at 2am on a weeknight? Because this is whats spinning in my head, why do i do what i do, I have been told i will have to work till i am 65+ in order to retire and enjoy life but at that point more then half my life is gone, and then you grow to tired, or sick to enjoy it fully, your children are grown and out following their own set of events, but what if I can break free of this chain? What if I can encourage others to also break free, to remove the shackles of the life we are told we want to enjoy the life we do have... What if all that starts with a spinning mind full of ideas and questions this very night, typing this very post...

No I will not quit my job but I will look at things very different now I think and yes it will take adjusting and no it wont happen in 1 day and many im sure will try to stop me, tell me i am crazy, but if I work towards it slowly at least I know im not working towards my endless goal of a 65+ retirement (if i make it that far) but a much closer goal of a content life on a little money, with a happy family, and a little house somewhere on a piece of property I can call my own.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Brittany - All good thoughts, and all by products of the consumer society we live in...Keeping up with the jones's has a part in it, as hard as it is for us to admit, and saving money for retirement is important too...
    I am still trying to find the balance between blowing off keeping up with the Jonese's, but not to the point when I need to worry about the future.... . I don't know you very well, but you see to be on the right path with the gardening. Keep it up, it might become a career of sorts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good point. We started letting some of those "extras" we don't use go. Like the cable, it is gone and we don't even miss it.

    Don't let it keep you up at night. Your doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I carry the same thoughts. I only think I have one different thing added to my life that I didn't read in this post. It is Jesus. Jesus sets me free of all the shackles and sin, as He does for all who will trust Him and live by Him. He is Creator of all the heavens and earth. He is all for ntural living. As He began it all in the Garden of Eden.
    Hope your mind and heart are back at ease since typing this post. And cheers to you from one backyard garden to another!

    ReplyDelete