Sunday, July 1, 2012

More animals?

I want a real rural farm someday but since I cant escape city life anytime in the next couple years I am working harder to transform this city property into a smaller version on a working farm.

I already have 6 chickens, 2 ducks, a cat, and my family who lives here but I want more. At first I tried convincing the family to get a mini goat after that failed, I tried to convince meat rabbits were the way to go after that failed as well I had about given up trying to get anything else on this little urban farm.

I woke up one morning and it hit me like a smack in face, BEES!

I have now checked out every bee book in the library, started checking prices, hive design, mail order bees, etc

I am excited and nervous and this time I have convinced every except for my other half.

:)

4 comments:

  1. Cant wait to see how that adventure works for you. How come the bunnies didn't work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Convincing my other half that taking more hungry mouths is hard plus trying to convince someone who thinks of rabbits are a pets vs food. So it got shut down, bees just need a initial set up then relatively no money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read about bee's on a couple of blogs, but can't remember were. It seems like one of the obvious things to do if you have a food garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We thought about bees (are still thinking). I think it would be great help for our eggplant flowers BUT last year when our garage was being built the siding was off of part of the house a swarm took up residence in our wall. Just imagine, kid napping, husband sleeping (since he worked the night before), and me laying on the sofa finishing the sunday paper and I hear this weird slight hum. I put my ear the wall and it was louder...couldn't sleep at all that night - worried they would come inside. Had a guy come and smoke them out and close up the hole the next day.

    ReplyDelete