Sunday, November 18, 2012

What going on this week in the gardens!

So while my garden is ever evolving and I remove gardens, move gardens, etc I always have more then half of my yard planted.

Right now in my large raised center bed I have lime basil, eggplant, 2 types of tomatoes (a regular and grape), 3 types of peppers (chili, hab, and serrano), collards, carrots, broccoli, peas, chick peas, purple and green beans, perennial bunching onions unknown squash, and have nasturtium and celery seeds planted


In my other beds scattered around I have garlic, onions (yellow, white, red), scallions, super sweet onions, cabbage, more nasturtiums, arugula, more tomatoes, thai chili peppers, papaya, cassava (yuca), bananas, roselle, grapes, blackberries, peach trees, strawberries, turnips, kohlrabi, rutabaga, swiss chard, radishes, lettuce, and more


Within the last week I dug out most of the sweet potatoes~ we have 2 harvest baskets full of potatoes and I plan to weigh them.


We have a bundle of vidalia onion starts to plant out there somewhere within the next couple days. The bundle is of 50 starts (min) and cost us $5 at the local feed store. Strawberry farmers plant these as a border on their strawberry fields this time of year and harvest when strawberry season starts to wind down. Since these are not storage onions they will be diced and frozen once harvested!

We also have our tilapia pond laid out and ready for our class here December 15th. We will be learning and constructing a pond out of "trash" materials taught by a wonderful permaculture teacher who goes by the name Jungle Jay.

I really really enjoy sitting on the ground next to our little pond watching to now super happy 23 cent goldfish swimming around joined by a never ending amount of frogs and toads. Its very peaceful so much so I might have to make a little black bench to sit on! :)

1 comment:

  1. Have you thought about installing a garden pond at the hub of the garden? No matter how well you waterproof and insulate them, the nutrient rich water always seeps into the surrounding soil. I know a few gardeners who work for ukwaterfeatures.com and intentionally do poor groundwork on their ponds at the request of the customers, who want to benefit from the nutrients.

    ReplyDelete