Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spinning Yarn

We have been up to so much around here as of lately. There has been no time breathe let alone blog. So here we go into catch up mode.

One of the skills I desired to learn was yarn spinning. I stalked pages of spinners, read about it, and them at the SweetWater Sunday Market I saw a spinner, sitting and spinning on her wheel while selling her goods. I stopped and we talked and talked. I loved her yarns, each different and amazing. I asked about her wheel and when she told me the cost I about gave up my ideas right then. There was no way I could drop $250 - $500 on anything let alone a spinning wheel. I went home and started thinking, what can I do.. I looked up making one but that didn't seem likely so I started searching the web and decided to hand spin. I searched around for the tools I would need... fiber, directions, and a drop spindle. I ended up finding my perfect match on Etsy, a starter pack that included alpaca fiber, directions, and a top whirl drop spindle.. it costs me a whopping $14 plus $4 shipping.

A week later my kit arrived in the mail. I was so excited!





 I read the directions 5 times, not understanding parts but going with it as best I can. I started spinning my first thread, messing up many times, breaking the fiber and adding more. It was fun you have a starter yarn, let the yarn hang in the air and spin the bottom on the spindle.


It took me about 3 days of learning to get my first thread ball completed. Then I had to learn to take it off the spindle and create this nifty little ball so it didn't unwind.


In order to make yarn you need at least 2 threads (as seen above) then you unspin them and respin together. After you have spun your threads together you tie them off at points to keep the yarn from tangling itself up while setting. Once you are tied and ready to go you soak your yarn in a bath of HOT water and shampoo for 20 minutes.

Once it has soaked for the amount of time pour out your soapy water, and add room temp water and let it soak in that for 5 minutes moving around just a little to get the soap out. Once finished squeeze out your yarn by hand then set on a towel and press it to get more water out.


Hang to finish drying overnight (I used the shower), I set a can in the nook while drying to help it dry a little more straight. Now you have a completed yarn, I could have dyed it at this point but I liked the natural look of the alpaca fibers.


The finished result is beautiful to original and was all my own work. I am thrilled and have even started considering get a fiber rabbit to raise since I cant raise alpacas in Tampa :)

No comments:

Post a Comment