Thursday, May 30, 2013

Rabbit Loss.

Our little doe Tifa had a litter of babies. They were doing great and growing fast and big. Until day 8 I went out and took my daily picture to document the rabbit growing process which I had been doing since day 1 they were bouncing around and looking like little balls of furry popcorn, then when we went back out at feeding time every single one was dead ridged and cold in the nest box. I have no idea what happened and after talking to some breeders will prob never know what happened but I was devastated. My first litter gone. I discarded all the little bunnies and gave momma a huge helping of hay. Over the next couple days i checked her for any problems since she could no longer nurse but other then milk swelling she had no issues and dried up within about 4 days. We rebreed her after 2 days and am now expecting a litter on June 18th. This will be our last litter for the summer and we will start to rebreed our rabbits in September as it cools down. When we start to breed in September our Silver Fox rabbits should be almost ready to breed which will hopefully produce us some good show stock as well as fast growing meat and amazing pelts. We have 2 does from very different lines and we are getting a buck from Virgina to go along with our ladies.

Here are the pics of tifas first litter. We couldnt get all 30 days like I wanted but the growth within the first 8 days is amazing. From ugly to semi cute.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3


Day 4

Day 4 ~ Face

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

We now have a little of New Zealands from FooFoo that are almost 2 weeks old. I didnt take as many pictures of them because I was afraid we would lose those as well but they are flourishing and now getting VERY cute and not looking like little rats. LOL

Mommy FooFoo with one of her 12 day old mini mes.

No comments:

Post a Comment