Wednesday, July 17, 2013
What to plant in July (Zone 9):
Plant seeds of:
Beans: Bush, Pole, Lima
New Zealand Spinach
Yard Long Beans
Things to do:
* Remember to pick cucumbers, squash, beans, okra, and peppers regularly so plants will continue producing.
* Blossom end rot on tomatoes or a similar rot on peppers is caused by a calcium deficiency or fluctuations in soil moisture. Try to keep plants evenly moist. Discard rotting fruit.
* Remove all diseased vegetable plants or infected leaves from the garden. Prevent the spread of a disease by watering plants carefully at the soil level.
* As basil plants begin to bloom, cut plants back just above a pair of leaves to encourage growth.
* Also late this month start your plants to set out next month.. this will give you a head start!!